Spring Equinox (I Suck at Blowing Eggs)


The day before the Spring Equinox I belatedly started getting ready for it.  I normally do this so that I have time to spare, but I’d been so busy things had been left for later, so of course it was one of those times when things didn’t go according to plan.

I tried to blow eggs for the third year in a row and still haven’t been able to get it right.  Last year it didn’t work because I didn’t put a bigger hole in one end of the egg than the other.  This year I don’t know what went wrong, but I was rushed and may not have given it my best shot, so I’ll try again next year.  My betrothed tried and got quite a bit out of the egg, but then the shell started cracking so he gave up.

So for the first time in my life I dyed the eggs, which involves boiling them for twenty minutes, so I didn’t have to blow them.  I tried at first with the juice from a jar of picked beetroots.  This didn’t work, so I looked at the instructions at (http://www.dltk-holidays.com/easter/natural.htm) and used turmeric, which the instructions mentioned.  The turmeric dyed the eggs a bright yellow and after that I used onion skins, which dyed one egg orange and the other a shade of red my betrothed calls “sunburnt”.  I suspect that the red egg had more onion skins around it than the orange one.  This was the only craft thing that went right for this ritual.

Then I got out the paints I had bought at my local art shop and tried to paint the eggs, but the paint didn’t work on the eggs.  For my ritual I was going to paint one egg to symbolise the dark days and the second to symbolise the light days, say some words about the dark days ending, then break the dark day’s egg and hold the light day’s egg up to celebrate that the light days are here and the dark days are gone, but I had to do the ritual without the eggs.  In retrospect, I should have painted one piece of paper with dark days symbology and the second with light days symbology and used this, as the ritual felt a bit flat with only words.

I also managed to make chocolate nests.  These are cornflakes covered with melted chocolate with three Cadbury’s mini-eggs in the middle, and even this didn’t go right.  I think it was because I was cooking on gas (the vast majority of my cooking has been done on electricity) and the hob was too big for the pan, so the chocolate didn’t melt gently and started congealing into a lump.  The nests taste okay, they just don’t look very good.

It was a bit of a disaster, but I muddled through and the most important thing is not to leave preparation late, although my new year is March 25th (more on that later) and I haven’t made the ritual up yet…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: